Here is a quick look at three of Cisco’s most popular lines of network switches — the Catalyst Series, the Edge Series and the Nexus Series.
- Catalyst Series: The Catalyst Series three styles of switches, LAN access switches, compact LAN switches and LAN core and distribution switches. Here are some examples.
The Catalyst 3650 Series of LAN access switches are designed to deliver improved mobile experiences to both customers and employees. Its top models in this line include 48 Universal Power over Ethernet (UPOE) ports and default 1100 WAC AC power supply.
The Catalyst 2960-CX Series of compact LAN switches allows you to expand your network as needed while offering many of the features of larger switches in a tight package. The switches feature 8-gigabit Ethernet ports and support for up to 124W of PoE budget.
Finally, the Catalyst 6500 Series of LAN core and distribution switches are described as campus backbone switches and feature forwarding capacity between 150 and 720 Mpps. Services include network analysis, wireless support, security and automated operations.
- Edge Series: Cisco’s Edge Series of switches are meant to be all-encompassing devices for wire or wireless access, media connectivity and consolidated computing. Developers love their open Linux environment that allows them to host vertical applications. In short, Edge Series switches help make your IT infrastructure more modern to improve group communication, collaboration and productivity.
The Edge 300 is the slightly larger of the two available models and runs on a 1.2 GHz single-core, with 2G of memory and 4G of built in storage.
On the other hand, the Edge 340 has a slightly smaller form factor and runs a 1.6 GHz dual-core. It also has 2G of memory and one SD slot rather than built-in storage.
- Nexus Series: Cisco’s Nexus Series switches are data center-level switches built for cloud networks. One of the most popular models is the Cisco Nexus 1000V virtual switch. It handles cloud security through the Cisco Trusted Security framework. It offers multi-tenant support and functions including routing, firewall and switching. It also has either manual or automated management and configuration options based on your individual needs.
Tailor to Your Needs
As you have likely discovered, Cisco’s switches come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes with varying level of feature sets. While this can make it a bit overwhelming to come to a final decision, you can rest assured there is a switch available that will meet your specific requirements.
- Home or business: Larger switches such as the Catalyst and Nexus Series are typically used for business purposes and campus networks. The Edge Series switches are much physically smaller devices that can be used at home or for a home business, or as a complement to extend your company’s network to various branches. Finding the perfect match can be a complex process, but as always we’re on hand to help you make the right decision.
- New or refurbished: Network switches can be pricey endeavors, but you can keep these costs under control with products from the Cisco Refresh program. All Cisco Refresh switches are certified by Cisco, meaning you get the same quality at a lower price. You will always get the same performance and reliability, as well as the same protection and warranty coverage. Buy Cisco switches.
How to Buy
No matter your company’s size or the scope of your needs, we at MDSi serve as your one-stop shop to help set up a new Cisco network, or expand on an existing one. To get started, feel free to browse through our available Cisco networking products, including servers, routers, security appliances and switches.
If you have a particular product or two in mind, request a quote to help you determine how each fits within your budget.
We know that making decisions on networking hardware can be an extensive process, and you’re always free to call us at 1-800-874-9850 to let us help talk you through it. We can answer specific questions, give you more detailed recommendations based on your networking size and needs, and go into specific and extensive specifications and features of each product we offer.
Also, we’ve already mentioned it, but it’s worth pointing out again that the Cisco Refresh program is an excellent way to acquire industry-leading networking hardware at a fraction of the cost of new equipment. We’re one of the largest sellers of Cisco-certified refurbished hardware, and since MDSi is a WBENC company, all Cisco Refresh purchases count toward your business or organization’s diversity spending goals.
One of the best aspects of the Cisco Refresh program is the refurbished products come with the same level of support, value and performance as new products. Each item is backed by the same warranty and is Smartnet eligible corresponding new Cisco products, and they’re fully licensed with official Cisco IOS software.
Finally, cost avoidance is a pillar of our strength, so our years of experience studying, analyzing and diagnosing IT infrastructures will always help you come up with the best solutions at reduced costs. We offer cloud-based monitoring through or proprietary software, ACUITY, which can help us help you manage all of your hardware through its entire lifecycle. This is another great way to help you reduce costs over time.
We look forward to working with you on all your Cisco networking needs, and can’t wait to build a working relationship that will thrive for years to come.