BLADE SCALE-OUT COMPUTE + FLASH
• The Blade is the scaling unit of FlashBlade – adding Blades linearly scales capacity, performance, metadata, and clients
• Each blade contains a low-power Intel XEON System-on-a-Chip processor and FPGA ARM cores to run the Elasticity™ Software
• Blades contain raw flash chips, DRAM, as well as integrated NV-RAM protection to guard write operations from sudden power loss
• Blades are available in 8 and 52TB capacities, and can be both mixed-and-matched and hot-added into the system.
• Blades were designed with ultra-low-latency in mind, leveraging PCIe to connect flash chips to CPUs, and the low-latency Elastic Fabric to communicate with other blades in the system
ELASTICITY SCALE-OUT STORAGE SOFTWARE
• Elasticity software is the heart of FlashBlade, implementing its scale-out storage core, scale-out metadata, scale-out multi-protocol support, and integrated softwaredefined networking.
• The Elastic Core is the base object store upon which all protocols are built, and implements native data services (data reduction, snapshots, replication, and encryption) as well as flash management services (N+2 erasure coding and LDPC error recovery).
• The Elastic Map is the scale-out metadata service that underlies all layers of Elasticity. It implements an extensible, variable-block metadata engine which allows for instant query of complex operations.
• FlashBlade and Elasticity are managed by Pure1 – Pure Storage’s cloud-based management and support platform – making it easy for a single administrator to manage multiple systems of any size globally.
PURE STORAGE ELASTIC FABRIC LOW-LATENCY, SOFTWARE-DEFINED NETWORKING
• FlashBlade includes a built-in 40Gb Ethernet fabric, used for both communication between Blades and to clients.
• The Elastic Fabric implements low-latency proprietary protocols bypassing the TCP/IP stack, separating client, data, and metadata traffic in the system via QoS.
• Each chassis includes 8x 40 Gb/s Ethernet ports for both client connectivity and direct chassis interconnect, as well as 30x 10 Gb/s internal ports for Blade connectivity via the passive mid-plane.